Huey P. Long Bridge - Kenner, La.
Huey P. Long Bridge opened in 1935, and Louisianans have settled for two 9-foot lanes in each direction ever since. As the final contract of a series of four to upgrade the capacity of the existing bridge, Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development selected a Kiewit-led joint venture for the $448 million project.
The existing bridge carried two railroad tracks for the New Orleans Public Belt Railroad and two 9-foot vehicle lanes, totaling four lanes that run both east and west along the existing bridge without shoulders. The project replaced the east and west approach structures and constructed a three-lane deck, widening both sides of the existing Huey P Long Bridge, also known as route US 90, over the Mississippi River.
The project added an additional lane in each direction along with 8-foot emergency shoulders. The main bridge structure for vehicular traffic includes the 4,700-foot-long east approach, the 2,400-foot-long main river crossing and the 5,600-foot-long west approach as well as associated ramp work at both ends. The approach structures are composed of both precast concrete and structural steel girders while the deck widening will be supported by a four-span widened structural steel truss about 150 feet above the river.